Request for Catering Exception

University of Northern Iowa Food & Beverage Policy for Events on Campus (Policy 13.17)

This form must be completed and approved by the Catering Exception Committee when any group proposes to use a non-UNI catering provider for an event on university property that is not on the approved vendor list, with the exception of Dome, McLeod Center and West Gym; for these named venues, please consult Athletics Concessions. The use of any outside caterer without permission or bringing in your own food for an event is prohibited and could result in loss of privileges and/or risk payment to the food service provider. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited unless provided by University Housing & Dining.

For the safety and well-being of all students, staff, faculty and guests, it is important to follow University Policy 13.17.

Request for Catering Exception

Provide the building and room number. Please note: This request does not reserve space. Contact the facility directly to make reservations.

Food Safety Guidelines

These guidelines must be carefully reviewed and observed in order to obtain food from an outside provider for an event on campus. These guidelines are intended to protect you and others at events from food borne illnesses and serve as a reminder of campus policies and are intended as a guide only and will not fit every situation. Should you have any questions please call UNI Housing & Dining at 319-273-2333.

By checking the boxes below, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the following terms

Follow-up Instructions

  • Once completed, this form will be submitted electronically to the Catering Exception Committee, along with a copy sent to the email provided.
  • If approved, the committee will email an exception approval form that requires the requester to share with the non-university licensed food service operator for them to sign.
  • If approved, the committee will also notify the reserved facility that an exception has been granted.
  • The Catering Exception Committee will keep the original Request for Catering Exception form on file and will keep all insurance certificates and other documentation regarding the non-university licensed food service operator.
  • The registered student organization/university department will not be permitted to resell donated product or sell food from an outside caterer unless the event is part of a larger campus celebration such as Homecoming or Family Weekend, for example. Once approved, events of this nature will require a temporary food license from the Black Hawk County Health Department.

Terms & Conditions

  • This form must be completed a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the event or may be grounds for denial.
  • The food service operator:
    • is granted limited permission for the distribution of food. This permission may be terminated or cancelled by the Catering Exceptions Committee at any time, at its sole discretion, without recourse by the operator.
    • must comply with all directives of university personnel.
    • is solely responsible for the management, preparation and distribution of its food and beverage (including set-up, service, supervision, tear-down, clean-up) as well as all financial obligations and liabilities in connection with or necessitated by this exception permission.
    • is responsible for providing any and all equipment and personnel necessary to conduct its business.
    • is responsible for obtaining all required licenses or permits and fully complying with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as all pertinent university policies.
    • shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless the university and its officers, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, damages, costs, losses, liabilities or expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees arising out of or in any way connected with this exception including without limitation claims for any loss or damage to property, or for death or injury to any person or persons.
    • may not assign or delegate this permit to any third party without specific written permission of the Catering Exceptions Committee.
  • This permit is governed by and interpreted under the laws of the State of Iowa.
  • Future permission to engage in similar events is contingent upon compliance with these terms and conditions.