UNI Dining accommodates a variety of diets and food intolerances. Whether you have food allergies, food sensitivities, gluten intolerance, are following a vegan/vegetarian diet, or other dietary restrictions and/or medical needs, UNI Dining is here to help you make safe and delicious choices.
At UNI, a team approach led by you, our informed customer, is the best preparation in assisting you to have enjoyable dining experiences. UNI Dining will provide you with the information needed to manage food allergies, food sensitivities and other medical needs. Here are some ways we make it easier for you to manage your meals:
A Registered Dietitian is available for consultation to discuss various tools and resources available for your safe and healthy dining experience.
Rialto and Piazza offer designated allergy areas in their dining facilities that serves one entrée that is free of the top eight allergens, one entrée that is gluten-free, and complementary sides that are free of the top eight allergens. Vegan items are available in designated areas as well. Additional items can be prepared to help meet students' individual needs.
All management staff attend Allertrain U® training, an ANSI-accredited training available through MenuTrinfo® and taught by an on-campus Master Trainer. Managers and supervisors are required to be ServSafe® certified, a food safety program including food allergen management.
Registered students for meal accommodations have access to ordering customizable entrées and sides prior to arriving in the dining center through the GET app.
All culinary staff are trained in AllerTrain Lite®, available through MenuTrinfo® and taught on campus by a Master trainer. They are also required to be ServSafe® certified, which covers all aspects of food safety including food allergen management.
Our interactive online menu site allows you to filter out the allergens you wish to avoid by using the Set Filter option on the menu pages.
A food allergy policy to inform students of the options available through UNI Dining Services.
Meet Our Dietitian
Individual consultations are available with Lisa Smith, MA, RDN, LDN on a variety of topics. She will help students find options that work for them and address questions and concerns regarding nutrition and dietary needs. She can provide:
- Consultation on issues such as food allergies and intolerances, vegetarian and vegan diets, weight management and modified diets.
- Education on ingredients, sourcing on foods and dining center tours, including help with locating healthy and food allergy specific items.
- Educational materials related to eating healthy on and off campus, as well as portion control.
Lisa is available to assist with dining options on campus, along with other accommodations. To schedule an appointment, call 319-273-6937 or email email@example.com.
Tips for Students
- Be your own advocate.
- Inform UNI Dining of your needs.
- Know your allergy.
- Form relationships with UNI Dining staff.
- Notify Dining staff with any concerns related to ingredients and preparation methods.
- Utilize nutrition information available through the online menus.
- Review daily menu offerings.
- Carry a prescribed epinephrine auto-injector.
- Let friends know about your allergies.
- Don't eat or drink anything with no ingredient information.